Where can I get a Russian driver’s license that I can use in the US?

Dear Sophie, My question is about a drivers license. I will be back in the US this summer and need a licence. I do not have a US one anymore, but I know I can use an international one if I have some additional form. My question – where do I get an drivers license in Russia that I can use in the US?

Dear Anna,
Some states allow you to use your Russian license. It varies, state by state. In California, for example, the DMV says:

“(a) The following persons may operate a motor vehicle in this state without obtaining a driver’s license under this code:

(1) A nonresident over the age of 18 years having in his or her immediate possession a valid driver’s license issued by a foreign jurisdiction of which he or she is a resident, except as provided in Section 12505.”

The U.S. recommends getting an International Drivers License document, but a Russian notarized translation of your Russian license into English will suffice. The IDL just translates it into 10 languages and it’s more than you need.

Originally published June 17th, 2014

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s